Monday, February 25, 2013

A Year in Review - 2012 Comes to a Close

Well 2012 ended and we are on to 2013! All in all it was a great year.  Many milestones were hit with running, motherhood, my professional life and in my marriage.

In January, I entered back into the working world after having been a stay home mom and part-time waitress. My once permanent employer invited me back to work on an assignment which entailed planning an annual technology summit.  Justin began day care/preschool and we were introduced to a whole new level of balancing life's obstacles.  This was also the moth we celebrated being homeowners for two years.

February, I completed my third marathon. It was in Hyannis, MA on Cape Cod. It was a cold, grueling, race which I would have PR'd if it wasn't for the 40 mph head winds. It was a fun girl's weekend with my sister Missy.  We did this race on my Dad's 65th birthday so I gifted him my medal. This was also the month we visited Disney World. Justin very much enjoyed the experience.

March was epic because we introduced underwear to Justin at the ripe age of 2.5. He began wearing undies to school and has had very few accidents since. We still struggle with him doing poo on the potty and he still sleeps with diapers but we'll get there!!

April was a great month for running.  I PR'd in the Burn Calories for Fuel 10K in two ways. I placed 2nd in my age group and finished in 51:36. My fastest 10K ever! This same race hosted a kid's fun run and was Justin's first race. He had a number (which has been framed of course) and won his first medal. Priceless!

In May, I PR'd again, having won the title "first female finisher" of the inaugural Valassis 5K.  This was also the month that my assignment brought me to Orlando Florida for the annual technology summit. I spent five days away from Justin and Joe. I missed them dearly but also enjoyed a sense of independence.

Come June, I was unemployed again. My assignment ended which I expected completely, but nonetheless was worried about where an income, secondary to Joe's, would be coming from.  These worries, though valid, didn't prevent a family trip to Vegas. My eldest niece Taylor was graduating from high school. Joe stayed behind, but I traveled with mom, dad, Vic, Missy and Justin. The long weekend was filled with celebration. A few weeks later, Mia, my youngest niece came to CT and we welcomed summer with trips to the beach and NYC.

In July, Justin turned 3! Joe and I took him to Mystic Aquarium to see the sea lion show and beluga whales.  He acted horrendous most of the day but our pictures captured some great shots. In 10 years, we'll look back and think we had a lovely day! The following week, my nephew visited and we went to a Yanks game in NYC and enjoyed more beach and CT shoreline.  My job search continued but while searching for full time work, I helped out at a friend's bakery and worked the local farmer's market.

In August, I landed at my current job. Finally full time employment!! It hadn't been since I was laid off in November of 2008 that I was permanently employed! I entered the event planning world as the Assistant to the President, however as time went on, I would be doing more actual event planning.

September was a great month! I greeted the age of 31 at the casino with friends, and then Joe and I later celebrated our 11 year wedding anniversary. Training for the Hartford Marathon was well underway, having run over 110 miles in this month. This month however, was also when I injured myself but would remain in denial until after the marathon.

In October, I finished my fourth marathon, and as a pace team leader! I led the 4:25 pace team to the finish line within 21 seconds of our goal. Not without pain though and of course not without support from fellow runners.  Shortly after finishing the Hartford Marathon, I was diagnosed with a inguinal strain.  I was to cease running for 4 weeks and hence forget about running the Philly Marathon in a few short weeks. This was the month my family and I visited the beautiful island of St. John. Nine of us in a villa in Paradise was amazing.

November, I did a lot of cross-training. Lots of spinning and elliptical.  I was prescribed physical therapy but I opted out of that.  I had planned on completing my fifth marathon mid-month but injury held me back from the Philly. I submitted a doctor's note to the Philadelphia Marathon Foundation in an effort to get refunded my $125 registration fee but would later get a letter saying "you won't be refunded, however your registration is deferred to 2013". So guess what's on deck for 2013?! Thanksgiving was spent at Missy's house with very nontraditional dishes and a few of our favorite people. 

In December, I began logging some running miles-- 35 or so. I kept a slow pace and did just a few miles per week. I didn't want to push it, just coming off of my injury. Joe joined me in a few spin classes and continues to do so. Even with the chaos of the Holiday Season, I only missed three non-rest days of workouts. We celebrated Joe's 32nd birthday with a successful surprise party. We enjoyed our annual "Friends with Kids" Christmas Party.  Even Santa showed up! Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were spent with each of our families and we were far too spoiled!

Now January is here. Welcome 2013! My race goals are set for the year. Kicking it off with a half marathon next month! It's been described as "tough as nails" since it's a very hilly course.  Yikes!

I'll keep this blog posted with some upcoming highlights of the New Year. Until then, KEEP RUNNING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment