Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Succumbing to Injury

Ten days PM (post-marathon) and I finally decide to see a doctor about my leg. Not sure how much detail I've shared so far, since I've sorta been in denial about it.

What I can tell you is that every year for six years, I have run the Union Street Tavern Trot in Windsor. For the past three years I have done so reluctantly. It falls on a Sunday in late September, right in the prime of Hartford Marathon training.  In training season, Sundays are my rest days. So duh, when I run 20 miles on Saturday, my body can recover the following day.

Three years ago, I incorporated the race into my long run. I ran 10 miles, then did the 3.5 mile race, then ran home. Last year, I can't remember what I did, but I'm thinking I may have skipped the long run that weekend because I placed 2nd in my age group... and I probably wouldn't have done that with a tired body. This year (only 5 weeks ago), I was stupid.  I ran 21 miles on the Saturday prior to the race and tried to place the very next day in my category again.

Did I place? NO! Which makes it all that much more stupid. I was 5th in my age group :o( and I injured myself in the process. It was during the Trot that I felt something go askew in my hip.  I shook it off thinking it would be passing pain. I continued running through the pain and even did 21 miles the following weekend.

Then I started to limp... and the limping has yet to subside.  My last long run prior to the Hartford Marathon was three weeks ahead of the race. I took it easy until the marathon then ran it anyway. It twinged with almost every step.

3 days PM, I ran five slow miles and felt every excruciating step. My hip/leg was killing me. I realized after that fiver that maybe I should cease running for a bit. Maybe even go to a doctor?! I haven't given up a workout routine, but have definitely modified it. Biking/spinning and elliptical is all I know right now. Weights and abs too...

So yesterday I saw my Orthopedist. He is an ex-runner and soccer player.  Still fit and appreciative of athleticism. I like him because he will not discourage a patient from stopping doing the sport they love. A lot of doctors are against running because of a few ill-effects. Well F them! LOL.  Dr. Y knows the benefits of running far outweigh the risks.

What is the diagnosis you ask? An ilioinguinal strain. Fancy talk for a groin strain.  If in 3-4 weeks of NO RUNNING, there is no improvement, he will order an MRI and check for a tear.  He is confident it is a strain though.

So in these 3-4 weeks of no running, I can't run my fifth marathon (in Philly). I can't even run to the end of my street. He prescribed physical therapy and exercise such as yoga, swimming, elliptical and biking.

I'm sad, yes but there's nothing I can do other than deal with it.  I'm that person that feels like I haven't gotten a good workout in unless I've run, so let's see how creative I can get in these next few weeks with trying to burn those calories.  I'll tell you one thing... I'm NOT getting fat! And I WILL run Hyannis in February.

Resting my hip will take me right up to Thanksgiving. I figure I'll start training for Hyannis the day after Thanksgiving. That's a good day to get back in the swing of things.

In other news, I'll be on vacation soon. I can get my swimming in while in St. John.  Looking forward to a week away with the fam in the warmth of the Caribbean.  The countdown is on...

Now to find someone willing to run with my Philly Marathon bib... I'd hate for $125 to go to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment